Thursday, June 2, 2011

Dis, Reaching 50,000 Words and Other Cool Things

As always, Thursday is news day, and I have another full post at Wicked & Tricksy!

First order of business: Dís! (Fancy French keyboard lets me do the accent super easy!)


This gorgeous cover and most awesome short story belongs to my Wicked & Tricksy partner-in-crime and friend, Margo. She begun her journey on the path of self-publishing last Friday, unleashing her awesomeness into the world.

Here's the Amazon blurb, for your enjoyment:

Colbie Moss has bigger concerns than being one of the dísir, the undead avatars of the Norse spirits of fate known as Norns. She has lost a mythic blade entrusted to her by her uptight yuppie mentor, no less than a Norse god of old. Now the blade is in the middle of a gang war that has left a beloved friend on the brink of death. Colbie will have to decide how far she is willing to go to recover the blade, save her friend’s soul, and keep gods and Norns alike from getting wind of the collateral damage.

“Dis” is an Urban Midgard short story, approximately 8,900 words (or roughly 30 pages) of urban fantasy with a noir sensibility that will appeal to fans of Jim Butcher, Seanan McGuire, and Laurell K. Hamilton.

I've tried to come up with a cool way to express how I feel about Dís. Seriously. But the truth is that I can't find anything to do it justice, except... SQUEE! and Moooore. So that's all I say. Oh, no wait, one more thing: go buy it. Now!

In less epic news, I continue to progress in the novel and should get to the 50,000 words landmark today. Not just that. I get this tingling feeling when I write these days, a sense that these words I put on the page are way better than what I wrote earlier in the year. I may be making it up, but it's a good feeling to have while pounding out a first draft, so I'll blissfully enjoy and keep going.

A quick warning before the end: there'll be something a bit special going on here next Thursday (nice coincidence, since I just reached 100 followers). I'm not telling what, but make sure you come back!

6 comments:

  1. Hmm, I never considered self-publishing short stories or novellas. I guess I figured not many people would pay for a short story. Maybe I'm wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to Margo for a great release. And congrats to you on 100 followers!! Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed your word count slowly creeping up over there on the side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for featuring the story, Claudie. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

    And congrats on 100 followers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on 100 Followers and reaching 50k words! :)

    And congrats to Margo on her book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ted: Hadn't thought of publishing individual shorts either until David and Margo did it. It's a splendid idea, if you ask me.

    LG, Margo: Thanks a lot. And Margo, don't mention it. It's a pleasure. :)

    cookie: Indeed, it creeps up and up and up!

    ReplyDelete