Saturday, January 15, 2011

It's A Science Fiction!

You may remember when, towards the end of October, I freaked out about White Echoes' genre. In short, I had a hard time telling if it belonged in science fiction, fantasy or steampunk. I may have been in denial about the truth.

White Echoes is a science fiction novel.

It's a relief to know the technical, because I have a better idea of the conventions to keep an eye on and of what to pitch it as to agents.It's useful to know your genre.

In this case, though, it still freaks me out. I love this book. I love its story, its characters, its (now in-development) setting. But I'm a fantasy writer. It does not seem wise to try and publish a science fiction novel as my first book.

I guess what I am saying is that I'm glad I found what genre this book belongs to, though it comes with some side consequences. I'm willing to accept White Echoes is one of those stories you love, work on, show friends and family, even if it might not be meant for publication.

Or maybe it is. I try not to stress out about those things yet. Learning the craft comes first, and I have some distance to go still!

4 comments:

  1. Hmm well fantasy and sci fi are at least somewhat close together so I wouldn't worry too much. :) And it sounds like it may have quite a bit of fantasy elements in it since you were having trouble narrowing down the genre. All the best with your novel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've removed all of the fantasy them as I reworked the novel, and now there's an increasing number of sci-fi elements.

    Still, not worrying too much! Every practice I can get under my belt is a good one, and I want to do the best I can with this story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on picking a genre! My new project is somewhere in between too but I think it is mostly rooted in science fiction. Looks like I'm in good company!

    I can't wait to hear more about your novel. Good luck as you plow ahead!

    ReplyDelete