Friday, August 26, 2011

A Year in Creative Writing

If you've been hanging around here for a while (or, well, if you read the description next to my name XD), you know I'm a biochemist student. For the last three years, every class I've taken was related to DNA or microbes or proteins or chemistry.

I love sciences. I love it enough that I'll be going on to do a Masters. But before that, however, I am allowing myself a year of break. And by break, I really mean insaneness.

There is a short Creative Writing program at my University that can be completed in a year. I'm jumping in, and plan on completing it along with the two last Biochemistry class (which means I'm having extra classes each semester, which is why this is insane, but let's ignore that). Starting this September, I'll spend almost all of my time writing.

I don't know how useful it'll be. Very, I hope. I do know that a friend of mine did it, and loved it, and I hope that all of the critique groups and writing experiments will help me along the path.

That's my brand new adventure! You know the ironic part? All those classes... they are in French.

heehee.

13 comments:

  1. I am jealous. A creative writing class would be so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Starting this September, I'll spend almost all of my time writing. I don't know how useful it'll be."

    Incredibly, I'm sure! This is great news.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a fellow campaigner in the SF group -- looking forward to getting to know you! So glad you are able to take this time now to devote to writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best of luck to you! I miss taking Creative Writing courses. Make sure you enjoy yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck! I have been considering taking creative writing courses myself. Sounds like a good way to stretch your skills!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angela: It's bound to be fun. I mean, for a little while it'll *almost* be as though writing was my only job. ^^

    Margo: I'm crossing my fingers! I was never sure about it, but my friends' tales convinced me it wouldn't be all theory, no practice. Quite the other way around, in fact. :)

    Bluestocking: Hey campaigner! Lots of writing time will be so great. Though I do expect my personal project will slow down. No biggie there. It's about time I take a break.

    Steph: I promise I will. Thanks for the good wishes!

    Amber: Stretch my skills indeed. Most of the teachers aren't *too* genre-fiction friendly, and I think dabbling in other genres can only be good for my writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so excited for you, Claudie! Many components of compelling fiction are almost universal. So many the program doesn't focus on genre fiction. I'm sure it focuses on things you can incorporate into your writing. And it never hurts to read in other genres and styles. That way you can steal...uhm...I mean _borrow_ the things that work in your stories.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so cool, congrats on the creative writing program. Having a science/creative writing background is a huge plus. I'm writing middle grade sci-fi, and and I'm always wondering if I'm getting my science wrong. So you're one big step ahead. Fellow campaigner here, cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very exciting! Enjoy your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck with your new adventure. Insane ideas are usually the best ones ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hillary: We never steal from elsewhere. NEVER! ;)

    Gail: The science background does help a lot with science fiction. My main plot revolves around genetic engineering, which is smack-dab in my domain. It makes accurate (or semi-accurate but acceptable) science a lot easier.

    Hektor, Lynda: Thanks! I'll be sure to enjoy myself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Geesh, you go away for a few days and all sorts of crazy stuff happens, like your friend finishing her Biochem classes AND taking creative writing classes! How fun--I'm jealous!

    Enjoy it and be sure to come back and tell us everything you learn. ;)

    ReplyDelete