Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Last Hours of Mad Typing

I meant to have a really nice post here today, about the balance between writing craft and on-the-spot inspiration when writing or rewriting. It's been on my mind a lot lately as a struggled through the rewrites of my WIP.

Here's the thing, though. I have less than 24 hours to hit my Camp NaNoWriMo wordcount -- a goal for which I still need to write 8000 words. I'm typically a NaNoWriMo overachiever, and my pride as one will not allow me to fail the 50k. I can do it, I've written more in a day before. I just have to, ah, sacrifice the quality.

So I'm going to vanish for the next 24 hours and type like mad. I have a couple of new ideas I wanted to explore, and there is no better time than NaNo-speed surge of words to spill an exploratory drafts.

Check back on Thursday, all! I'll be a Camp Winner, and I'll have a nice, shiny post for you. :) Two, in fact, with Wicked & Tricksy.

11 comments:

  1. I didn't bother with Camp NaNo, mostly because I had no idea what it was about. Should probably rethink that next year. But I'm definitely doing NaNo in November!

    I'm also a Campaigner & in your Sci Fi group, so just wanted to stop by and say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been able to get into NaNo. As I mature, I can appreciate it, but I just don't write that way. I guess I just couldn't get into the competition of it, even if that competition is just against myself. My writing quality suffers too much, too. Without time to mull over some of my decisions, plots wind out of control, and I make irreparable errors, basically making the book unpublishable. But that's just me. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did Camp NaNo in July, but not now in August. ^^ We were camping, my school was starting, and usually I like to write at a more leisurely pace after NaNo. :)

    Good luck! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trisha: Camp NaNo is best described as NaNo-lite. It's 50k too, but there are less participants, and instead of forums we have small cabins with 5 others. It's a lot of fun, but definitely not the same amount of craziness.

    Giles: Oh, I know where you come from. I always enter NaNo with a large amount of preparation to try and keep the plot under control. I often write totally new ideas. This allows me to explore the character, plot twists, themes of a novel really fast. And as a mature, I'm drawn to less serious novels and more fun ones for NaNo. The fun is what really matters. :)

    Silent Pages: We did the camping thing *during* August, one weekend! We had a power bar in the tent and typed madly. It was awesome. :)

    I skipped the July one because I had my vacations, and absolutely nothing ready to write. XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings, fellow campaigner! I'm in your sci-fi group, so naturally, I wanted to check out your blog.

    You can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, all! And I did it! It was a wrist-damaging, mind-melting, mostl because I ran out of prepared scenes to write and had to pants (o.o The more I write, the less I can reasonably pants).

    But I did it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a lot of words left to meet your goal. Personally, I'd bag it and just finish on my own time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on meeting the goal! I'm a NaNo ML too, but the camp just wasn't going to work for me. I'm in the middle of rewrites that I'm scrambling to finish before November gets here... ah, the NaNo craziness just doesn't end! And yet, we keep coming back... :)

    ReplyDelete