Friday, March 4, 2011

20,000 Words and a Good (but difficult) Start

Monday I declared I would make of March my Butt-in-Chair month. I wanted to get to 50,000 words by the end of the month, which involved a thousand a day.

So far, so good.

The first days it was horribly hard to get through my scenes. Not only had I lost the rhythm of my novel, but I was entering a series of high-tension scenes. The kind that are easier to write when your so full of your novel you can hardly think of anything else. I love when that happens. I wish it had earlier this week, too!

What do I do when I have to fight for every word? When I'm uncertain about what my characters should say and do? I power through. Write something. Move on. Most of the time I have an idea but I'm uncertain how to phrase it. This week was different. I realised my idea was wrong and did not know how to replace it.


What then? I put music that inspires me. I grabbed a piece of paper. On each side of it I put the two characters in the scene. I scribbled what each of them felt. I wrote dialogue they'd think but never say. I poured out a few hundred words in first person for each of them. I played around with this scene and their head. 

Half a hour later, with the same track still playing in the background, I knew where to go. The words didn't come out easily, but they were the right words. They said what had to be said, not what I thought to say at first. I expect the first edit will take them away, but the idea will remain.

I now stand at 20,000 words. I'm further along the story than expected at this point, but as I find my beat again, my scenes get longer. The pacing gets better. Starting again was hard, but I have my cruising speed. And everything is about to go BOOM! Fun times ahead!

(For the record, I realised I needed more than one thousand a day. I can't write on most Saturdays, and only a bit on Sundays. I'm not nervous about it. I expect my daily number to increase as I really get into the story.)

2 comments:

  1. Music seems to play such a huge role in inspiration for stories. All the best with your writing this month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, music is an essential part of my writing process. Thanks for the good wishes!

    ReplyDelete